Sunday, June 24, 2007

Turnip and Potato Patties

I searched my favorite food blogs for turnips and this is what I had for dinner tonight (on a bed of lettuce greens). Heavily adapted from this recipe at Simply Recipes. I think they would be great as a breakfast potato substitute.
Turnip and Potato Patties
1/2 pound turnips, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 1/3 cups)
6 oz potato cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
2 medium sized carrots, grated
2 green onions, chopped
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/4 cup all-purpose white-wheat flour
Grapeseed oil, peanut oil, or canola oil (high smoke point vegetable oils)
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of curry powder or gram masala
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the turnip and potato cubes for 12 to 15 minutes, until they are tender, and drain them. In a bowl, mash them with a fork and stir in the scallions, the carrots, the egg, flour, and curry powder, salt and pepper to taste.
Coat the bottom of a large, heavy bottomed skillet with about 1/4-inch of the oil. Heat the pan on medium high heat until the surface of the oil begins to shimmer, but not smoke. Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of the turnip potato batter into the pan, flattening them into 1/2-inch thick patties with the back of a spatula. Fry the patties until they are golden, turning them once, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the patties to paper towels to drain off excess oil.
Yields: Six patties
Time: 1/2 - 3/4 hour
Recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine, January 1985.


Ps. I think Andy took the memory card reader to Italy (I need to check at his house to be sure). It that's the case, no photos for a while (I am taking them I just can't get them off my camera easily). You'll have to imagine and I'll add them in a month or so....

No comments: