Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Eatwell Farms

I am sure many of you are not only aware of the Community Supported Agriculture (commonly referred to as CSA) movement but are active participants. A direct partnership between eater and farmer this movement supports smaller often organic family farms, lowers oil/gas consumption of transit and improves the tastiness of dinner. If you are not, I encourage you to look for such an operation that appeals to you in your neighborhood.

This week I picked-up my first delivery of produce from Eatwell Farms. I could not have been more impressed with my share. In my first box, I received:
  • Bing cherries
  • Strawberries
  • Lettuce
  • Garlic (for drying)
  • Onions
  • Summer squash
  • Green beans
  • Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • Turnips
  • Carrots
  • Mint
Let me tell you the strawberries were the best I have had this summer AND we have them growing in our own backyard; the mint is brewing right now for a tasty tea in the morning and the carrots are just the cutest carrots you have ever seen and super crisp and sweet. Eatwell also has organic eggs available. I did get a 1/2 a dozen but haven't tried them yet, can't wait for an opportunity.

Seriously, I am swimming in produce. It's great!

Ps. Does anyone know what to do with turnips?? I have never had them let alone cooked them.

No comments: