Sunday, November 30, 2008

Houston Grub

Whilst in Houston I was more disciplined than ever about eating humbly. More than any other time in my life I ate at home and brought my lunch to work. I also threw away practically no food, I ate almost everything I bought. Surprisingly, I did not miss eating out. It was not for lack of options. There are more places to eat-out in Houston than any other place I have ever lived or visited. Seriously, there are ten restaurants on every corner.

However, I did eat a few times and can whole-heatedly recommend these fine Houston eateries:

- Zabak's Meditrerranean Cafe
Hands down best, cheapest falfafel sandwich($5) I have ever had. Genuine, friendly service. I went twice in 6-months and would have gone every week if my budget would have allowed it.

- Brasil Cafe
One of my few complaints about cafe's and bars in the SF Bay Area is the lack of not only outdoor seating but also the size and stability of tables. This Houston cafe far surpasses any local cafe or bar. Tons of outdoor seating and small but very stable tables. Perfect for sitting and studying. Plus, the food is great and reasonably priced AND you can can get coffee/tea or wine/beer. Favorite place to linger in the afternoon with a study material.

- Boudreaux's Cajun Kitchen
I was first introduced to Boudreaux's by way of fried dill pickle chips. Not something that prior to living in Houston I would have considered tasty or delicious. But fried dill pickle chips = tasty and delicious. You do however need to split an order with at least three people because you're satiated early with the salty and yummy treat. Boudreaux's has an extensive menu with almost any fried item you could possible want (and many items prepared in other ways too but really why bother). Casual and fun. A little expensive but ample portion size. Great drink specials before 7 pm.

- Big Woodrow's
A fellow intern intern worked at Big Woodrow's throughout the internship and loved it. She insisted that we introduce the incoming class to traditional Cajun food here, specifically boiled crawfish. Crawfish are widely distributed in the southeast and considered a delicacy, rightfully so. I thought it was so great we took my dad when he came two weeks later for crawfish. When ordering crawfish for the first time make sure you find out how spicy they are. I loved it but my dad was a little overwhelmed by the spice.

And who could go to the almost South and not partake of BB-Q:
- Goode Company
Everything they say about Texas BB-Q is true. It is soo good. It also widely available but believe it or not, I only went for BB-Q three times while I was in Houston - twice at Goode Company. Just go, don't think about splitting a plate, get a combo and try as much as you can. They say the pie is also good at Goode Company but I ate so much BB-Q I never had room.

No comments: