Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike



Hi all!
Thanks so much to all of you who e-mailed, called, texted or just thought about my safety over the past 24 hours.

I am happy to report that I have survived my first (and hopefully my last) hurricane unscathed. Many others in the gulf cannot say the same, I feel very lucky. Hurricane Ike came through over night, the real action lasted about 5 hours. Jenny (my roommate) and I dragged a mattress and pillows into the hallway and slept there. It was loud and a little scary but all-in-all okay. Our power was out for about 6-hours but came back on this morning (Most people in the area are not expected to regain power for a few days.) We are LUCKY.

I have posted a few photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/tjgirl/HURRICANEIKE#. My entire neighborhood has debris and trees down all over. Most of the street lights are out. Many of the street signs have been toppled. It just generally looks tattered. People are out and about cleaning up. Most in good spirits. You can hear generators buzzing, people are BBQ-ing. While it NO way feels like a block party, people openly express their gratitude for their personal safety and property. I think everyone's just glad its over.

I expect to go back to work at the medical center Monday or Tuesday.

Hope each of you are safe , warm and dry.

Be in touch.

Always,
~Taryn

No comments: