Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mushroom Risotto

Using this recipe from Simply Recipes. I made a g-r-e-a-t risotto.

It was delicious. No surprise, I made a few changes: I used more mushrooms browning and cooking some of them with the rice; I substituted sherry for the cognac and I used less butter, olive oil and cream than the recipe called for. It did not matter it was still fabulous.


A note about the mushrooms I used: I used plain white mushrooms and crimini's to brown and and cook with the rice; I used more exotic mushrooms in the cream mixture. I was afraid of cooking with more exotic mushrooms for a long time. I thought they would be over-powering and domineering in my dishes. I was wrong: They are really wonderful additions bringing mild, earthy flavors and subtle textures. The price of exotic mushrooms can also be intimidating . I usually buy some white button mushrooms to bulk up my purchase with out bulking up my receipt. And don't worry about the names, just experiment with a few that appeal to you.


Thank-you Monterey Market for the selection. If you live in the East Bay just stop shopping for produce any where else and GO TO Monterey Market. It is the best.

No comments: